11.19.2008

We'll plague the middle class with naked babies!!!

I spent a large portion of my past weekend riding subways throughout the southwestern regions of Seoul. It was hot, long, frustrating at times, and offered me plenty of Korean people watching opportunities. The large portion of time spent on said subways happened because of my own inability to send e-mails....I was meant to meet up with a friend, who is phoneless and internetless (she is a good hippy :)), so i was supposed to send her an e-mail, during her school hours, indicating the time i would meet up with her. Unfortunately, the whole "let's be really relaxed, then rush around like chickens with their heads cut off" mentality got the best of me. As I was finishing up my e-mail to my friend, this phenomena (its called "Bali Bali" which translates to "fast fast") ensued, and i failed to press the send button on my e-mail. Consequently, I ended up stranded in Incheon...with nothing but my clothes, and my hand-me-down copy of Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels.

The title of this entry is a line from the book, and it is oddly fitting for my whole situation over the weekend. First, my friends are hippies, and they definitely will "plague the middle class with naked babies running across the earth." Secondly, it led me to wonder whether or not Koreans would let their babies run around naked...I hope so, cause that's one of the things that must make babies very happy. Furthermore, I think I must be surrounded by people who employ this mentality--of naked babies that is.

Kerouac leads me to think about strange things sometimes, but that is quite alright with me. I've found a lack of inspiration in this country over the past few weeks, which is....uninspiring?? no, it's discouraging. After reading Kerouac on the subway (one of the presumably least inspiring of places), I've decided to find inspiration in my lack of inspiration (does that make any sense??). Kerouac, in this book, writes of "the void" and desolation even amongst the most populous of places. Yet, he can still see that each and every person is an "angel"...He can still appreciate a situation no matter how empty it feels. This isn't a groundbreaking discovery or anything, but a good reminder to myself, that I won't always be in a place that is "right" for me. It may even be more beneficial to be in a place that totally challenges what my ideals are. The Korean mentality and culture, I believe, will prove to challenge my ideals on a day to day basis. Do you remember psych classes? and the polarization effect of arguing? It shows that opposing sides, when the argue, generally strengthen their own opinions, rather than come to a more moderate understanding. I am usually a little flip-floppy on issues, mostly non-philophical ones like taste in movies and literature...they are so subjective. But the issues that I do care about to a great extent--the environment, human rights, women's rights, the role of education in children's lives, to name a few--will probably be strengthened in my time here as I silently battle with them (maybe some day I'll be able to get my opinion across a little better). Let it be known, that I'm not saying that every aspect of Korea is a battle with my ideals...there is a lot of beauty in the land and people here. There will always be a place to find solace and people with whom I can muse about likeminded ideas.

time to get back to worky work...

No comments:

Post a Comment