11.17.2008

A quote that I totally forgot about...but kind of is a short synopsis of living abroad

from John Updike's "Bech in Czech" from Bech at Bay.

"That is why, he supposed, you travel to places like this: to encounter fictional selves, the refreshing false ideas of you that strangers hold in their minds"

While encountering those fictional selves will hopefully lead to a discovery of my nonfictional self, it is fun to toy with those that know nothing of me other than the stereotypes they have learned about the society from which I come. I have not reveled too much in a false representation of myself...but I would l ike to more in the future, maybe once I know who the real me is?? If that happens, if it is possible...I guess that is a struggle that many people face for the entirety of their lives. I am prepared to do that, if that's what it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment