3.06.2009

Hemp is good for you and me!

http://store.hempest.com/catalog/default.php

I don't know if my recent re-visiting to all things slightly hippy is a result of the upcoming Phish reunion, the beautiful weather or just an attempt to recollect myself and my ideals. I have been perusing the internet for all things Me and You and Everyone We Know and how our consumption affects the environment a lot more than usual as of late.

I just stumbled upon this store called "The Hempest." It is based in Boston but also sells products on-line. This store is really cool. If you are looking for new digs check it out! I really think that hemp is a material that we need to embrace a little more. While this incredibly utilitarian and versatile material has seen praise in the recent years, I think it still needs to have a further and deeper spread in society!! It can be used for clothing (The clothing has gotten softer too!), paper, housing materials, fuel, food, household products and hygenic materials! The fibers of hemp are the longest and most durable out of any agriculturally grown textile crop in the world! Aka, you're clothes will take forever to wear out! the saying goes: “Hemp doesn’t wear out, it wears in.” The uses can go on and on! AAANNNDDD it's native to so many of the world's geographic areas.

What is there not to love?! I know some conservative folks out there think you can get all loopy and goofy from wearing a hemp sweater...but you can't! Hemp is NOT marijuana! They're just sisters. Mary Jane got nearly all of the THC and Hempy got the brawn.

I, however badly I'd like to break the habit, really enjoy a nice wardrobe and great style. I also like thrifting, but there's something special and crispy about new digs. Instead of feeding the cotton industry that depletes the soil and uses harsh chemicals in it's treatment process, buy some hemp!

Check out this site, and look at the goodies, eco-fashion at its best. Have a good day :)

My mom found this article as well: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2148805#2148840
it's a great blog with threads that lead in almost every direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment